Gluten free Banana Coconut Cookies.
These gluten free banana coconut cookies are fabulously quick and easy to make – with just these two ingredients. I, personally, like to add additional texture in the form of sultanas, and I tend to go for the shredded coconut, although desiccated will do just as nicely if you prefer less of a crunch.
For a slightly sweeter hit, I like to throw in a couple of handfuls of dates. If your dates are not already really soft, it’s important to soak them in hot water for at least ten minutes. Otherwise you’ll wear out your food processor pretty quickly!
I then added a couple of tablespoons of a good quality cocoa powder, as Raven and Starfire LOVE chocolate (do you know any kids that don’t?!).
The girls had great fun rolling the mixture into cookie shapes and, of course, licking their hands – and the bowl – clean afterwards.
This recipe makes around 20 child-sized cookies. They are great for breakfast on the fly, a nutritious snack, or a yummy lunchbox addition. And, best of all – there is absolutely no added sugar and they are vegan and grain free to boot!
I hope you guys love making – and devouring – these nutritious banana coconut cookies as much as my lot do. If you give them a try, let me know how you like them! Leave a comment and rate the recipe – it’s so helpful to me and other readers. Cheers!
- 2 bananas
- 1½ cups coconut (shredded or desiccated depending on desired texture)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 handfuls of sultanas
- 2 handfuls of dates (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a baking tray or line with greaseproof paper.
- Pulse dates in a food processor until a caramel consistency is achieved.
- Add bananas and cocoa powder and process until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in sultanas if using.
- Roll mixture into balls, flatten to form small discs and space out on prepared baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until tops start to darken.